I want to continue our discussion on the next part of our core theology: Jesus our Sanctifier (Part II).
You may recall in the previous article that, according to John 1:29-33, Jesus is:
• the one who is taking away the sin of the world
• the one who is baptizing with the Holy Spirit
These two realities offer the believer two experiences. All Christians understand the first but most Christians do not understand or experience the second.
Two Realities—Two Experiences
• Deliverance from penalty of sin • Deliverance from the power of sin
• Freedom from death • Freedom to live
• Release from the guilt of the past • Equips for the temptations of the future
• Christ’s righteousness is imputed to us • Christ’s righteousness is manifest in us
• Jesus lives in us • Jesus lives through us
True Or False?
According to the New Testament, there are two kinds of Christians.
• I Corinthians 3:1-4—spiritual and worldly (carnal)
• Romans 7 and Romans 8—self-propelled and Spirit driven
• Ephesians 5:18—filled and not filled
What does this look like? Different groups have offered different answers to this question.
• Some say, “It’s all about purity.”
• Some say, “It’s all about power.”
• Some say, “It’s all about joy.”
Jesus tells us in John 15 that He is the Vine and we are the branches. Because of our relationship with Jesus, we:
• “will bear much fruit. . .”—PURITY
• “ask whatever we want. . .”—POWER
• “our joy will be complete”—JOY
According to Jesus, the fullness of the Holy Spirit involves all of these things.
The Steps To A Spirit-Filled Life
• Surrender. You cannot make yourself holy any more than you can make yourself saved! (Rom. 6:11; Rom. 12:1-2)
• Accept. Christ is your Sanctifier in the same way that He is your Savior! (Col. 2:6; Gal. 2:20)
• Abide. Maintain a continuous relationship with Jesus through obedience to his Word. (John 15:1-11)
Abiding and the Word of God
• John 17:17—”Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.”
• John 15:3—”You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.”
• John 15:7—”If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you.”
• Additional Scriptures to read: Ephesians 5:18-6:9, and Colossians 3:16-4:1.
Jesus said, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled” (Matthew 5:6)
“C&MA DNA: Jesus Only.” Part 2 of 2. Used by permission. www.CMalliance.org. For further study, see How to Abide, by A.B. Simpson: gracenotebook.com/how-to-abide/