Core Values for the Christian Family
A Study Outline
In this generation, “family values” has become a popular term. May we clearly identify what values are eternally valuable and live accordingly.
A. The Relevance of Values
“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21).
B. Biblical Values Summarized
1. The Glory of God Isaiah 43:7; Ephesians 1:6
2. Salvation Acts 4:12; Matthew 4:19
3. Spiritual Growth 2 Peter 3:18
4. The Bible 2 Timothy 3:16,17
5. Prayer Philippians 4:6,7
6. Wisdom Proverbs 3:13-26
7. Love Matthew 22:37-40
8. Stewardship Psalm 24:1; 1 Corinthians 4:2; 6:19,20; Ephesians 5:16; 1 Peter 4:10,11; 1 Timothy 4:6-10
9. Authority Philippians 2:10; Romans 13:1-7; Hebrews 13:17; Ephesians 6:5-9
10. Roles Ephesians 5:21-6:4
11. Church Matthew 16:18; Ephesians 2:19-22
12. The Kingdom of God Matthew 4:17; 6:33
13. Holiness 1 Peter 1:15,16
14. Character Development Matthew 5:3-8
15. Hope 1 John 3:1-3
C. Parental Mission Statement
God has entrusted _______________________________ to us to be loved, accepted. taught, trained and sponsored so that they can be prepared to eventually fulfill their calling as adults.
D. Success Defined
Success is the achievement of God-given goals by the enablement of His Spirit, for His ultimate glory.
“This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success” (Joshua 1:8).
E. Biblical Goals for our Family
1. To know Jesus Christ as personal Savior John 3:16-18
2. To live in surrender to Christ as their Lord Rom. 12:1,2
3. To live in realization of Christ as our source of living John 15:1-8
4. To personally embrace our biblical family values Proverbs 2:1-22
5. To identify personal goals based on our these values Proverbs 16:9
6. To manage resources to pursue these goals Eph 5:15-17
F. Joshua’s Example of Leadership
“‘Now therefore, fear the LORD, serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt. Serve the LORD! And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.'(Joshua 24:14-15)
G. A Valuable Motto
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.” – missionary martyr, Jim Elliott.
A good book on parenting is Shepherding a Child’s Heart, by Ted Tripp (Wapwallopen, PA: Shepherd Press).
Grace oriented web sites: http://www.Motherwise.org, http://www.Fatherwise.org